WARNING: This Is NOT Candy
These are detergent packs, sometimes called detergent pods, the latest greatest one-step answer to all of your laundry problems. I only assume you'll have whiter whites and brighter brights.
It seems to me dishwasher soap makers were the first to offer these easy-to-use brightly colored packets and laundry quickly followed suit. I don't know about you, but I was sure getting tired of pouring and measuring those capfuls. This cuts my laundry time down by...well, 2-3 seconds per load. I have more time now to spend with my family and enjoy my pasttimes and hobbies.
Now comes news that small children are ingesting the attractive bubbles with the squishy texture. Health Canada is warning parents to keep these packets away from small kids. The Canadian Association of Poison Control Centres is gathering information on incidents from its various provincial locations.
The Centre's American counterpart said it has recently received a surge in reports of children mistaking them for candy. No I don't know how many are in a "surge."
I'm sure at some point a consumer group will call for a ban on these gel packs, or ask that they be made less attractive. Perhaps the classic skull and cross-bones poison symbol on each one. This in itself is probably not a bad idea but I put this one more on the parents.
When you have small children in the house, no doubt your life as an adult is less convenient. Anything poisonous, lethal, dangerous, etc., is placed either very high up or behind child-lock doors. In easy to access bottom cupboards you can keep large pots and the like so that your child can explore safely.
In the meantime these packets can cause severe abdominal pain, vomiting and breathing difficulty. It is important to heed the warnings, but parents should know better. LEAVE COMMENTS.
For other Larry Fedoruk blogs and features, click here.
(NOTE: It is not known that children are specifically ingesting the pods pictured, and the jpg serves only as a representation of what detergent packets look like.)